Skip to main content

Counting how many people walks by using Python, tensorflow and height estimation

In this article, I'd like to share my project to count the number of people walking past a store/shop etc. The motivation was when I was part of a family oriented digital theme park company, we would want to know if daily sales (visitors) are good enough. 

First, some background. Our theme park (store) is part of a department store/shopping complex. So we did not have a large piece of land like Disneyland, where all visitors are definitely there to visit the park. In our case, visitors to the shopping complex will consider taking their children to our entertainment theme park, so we would get a certain percentage of the total visitors of the shopping complex. So for example if we have 100 visitors on one single day, how do we know if this number is good or bad? If we know the number of people passing through our store we would have a better context. If the total number of people is say around 500 then we would be getting 20%, which doesn't seem so bad. But if the shopping complex was packed and we have say around 5000 people walking past our store, that would mean that we could only generate 2% conversion, and we would then decide to do further research on why we did so badly.

Another challenge we had was to detect if there are children present. Because we are targeting families, it would not make sense without getting the number of children present.

System overview

  • People detection with tensorflow
  • Children detection with height estimation
  • Sensor used was one webcam
  • Windows 10
  • Data stored to Google Sheets

Preliminary testing of height estimation algorithm

People Detection

Let's go through the modules one by one. The first component is the people detection module. This is achieved by using the model provided by Google and Tensorflow. This is easy enough since people detection models and sample code are available on the internet.

Height estimation

Height is estimated using single camera using trigonometry. The assumptions for the camera are
  • Focal length is known, so the camera intrinsics and extrinsics parameters are known.
  • Height of camera is known
  • Angle/orientation of camera is known

At the time of this writing, I just measured the height manually and the angle was also measured visually using a protractor. Of course, this is not accurate and for future work, an automatic calibration process is needed to recover the height and angle.

The height estimation process is simply calculating the bounding boxes of people detected by the AI model and converting their height in pixels into meters.

Future work

As mentioned above, this is just a simple installation of people counter and height estimation and more work is needed to increase accuracy especially with an automatic calibration method to recover height and angle of camera placement.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Installing a custom ROM on Android (on the GT-N8013)

It's been a while since my last entry and since it is a new start in 2019, I thought I'd write something about "gone with the old and in with the new". I've had my Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 (pnotewifi) since 2014, and it's one of the early Galaxy Note tablet series. It has served me well all this years but now it just sits there collecting dust. My old Samsung GT-N8013 I've known a long time about custom Android ROMs like CyanogenMod but has never had the motivation to try them out, until now ! Overview of the process For beginners like me, I didn't have an understanding of the installation process and so it looked complicated and it was one of the reasons I was put off in trying the custom ROM. I just want to say, it's not complicated at all!   Basically you will need to Prepare an SD card and install Android SDK (you need adb ). Install a custom boot loader ( TWRP is the de facto tool at the moment). Use adb to copy custom...

Building a native plugin for Intel Realsense D415 for Unity

Based on a previous post , I decided to write a plugin for the Intel Realsense SDK methods so we can use these methods from within Unity. FYI Intel also has their own Unity wrapper in their Github repository , but for our projects, I needed to perform image processing with OpenCV and passing the results to Unity instead of just the raw image/depth data. There is a plugin called OpenCVForUnity to use OpenCV functions from Unity but previous experiments indicate the image processing inside Unity can take a long time. I hope this post can help someone else who wants to use Intel's cameras or any other devices natively in Unity. Test Environment Windows 10 64bit Unity 2017.2.0f3 x64 bit Realsense SDK from Intel CMake 3.0 or higher Steps Checkout the native plugin code here . Don't worry about the other projects in the same repository. The relevant code is in the link above. Checkout the Unity sample project here . However, instead of master you need to go to the br...

OpenCV native plugin for Unity in IOS

In one of my recent projects, I needed to use OpenCV from within Unity, in IOS. The asset called OpenCVForUnity is overkill because I didn't need the whole OpenCV library, just a few functions. In addition, this asset does not implement the whole OpenCV library so unless you know that what you need is included you may find it lacking when you discover it does not support some functions you need. As my project involves some trial and error and mixing algorithms together I decided to go with a native plugin. Overview In IOS, a native library is built as a bundle . We need to put this bundle inside Unity's Plugins/OSX folder to use it. Therefore, we need to create two projects. An XCode project to build the native plugin. A Unity project to use the plugin. Dependencies Of course, since we need to use OpenCV we will have to install it first. Tutorials on installing OpenCV on IOS are abundant and I will not include them here. Assuming you have installed OpenCV go to t...